Among the Lunar Phases
New Comprehensive Word for Word Analysis:
The Full is "First"
Here in verse 35 the answer is stated before the question is asked, as if part of the popular Jeopardy game show stating, "the first is fully satiated." So the illusive question is, "what is the "full" New Moon?" Verse 35 goes on to say, it is "set apart for sacred use in the sanctuary, whereas it cannot lie." The word for #7650 has been most often translated as "sware an oath." But in light of all the word forms of #7646-#7650, the consistent meaning is "full and satiated." A foundational principle of the Hebrew language is that the correct meaning of a word is the one that fits the context. The differences between each of these word choices are only recognized as the modern artificial vowel points are applied. This vowel system did not exist at the time this Hebrew text was written. The true word choice must be the one that harmonizes with these verses.
Notice the context of these three verses render a comparison of the seed of David (Messiah) to the "full moon," the perpetual symbol of Him, as He will forever be manifest conspicuously opposite Yahuwah the Father, as is here represented by the sun. The reason this descriptive lunar phase cannot lie is because it is wholly conspicuous, fully clothed with the light of the sun. Add to this the following two verses and what might otherwise have been a hidden gem, veiled from view, becomes a complete picture of a full moon, as the true New Moon.
As an extension of the statement, "set apart for use in the Sanctuary," it is easily recognized among all who faithfully keep the feasts that the New Moon is the chief cornerstone of the Old Testament sanctuary service upon which the feasts are located. In addition, all New Testament believers who are now keeping the feasts recognize that "the Messiah" is along with the New Moon the chief cornerstone of the lunisolar time-keep of the heavenly sanctuary and its feasts. Both are absolutely correct and so the point is made that the true New Moon is the ordained and perfect symbol of the Messiah, who's work it is to bring a full and complete restoration of atonement of mankind back to the Father. So, both the true New Moon and the Messiah were set apart for specific work in the Sanctuary/Temple service.
Moving on, Verse 36 declares that David's seed (the Messiah) shall be forever compared to the "full moon" that receives the pure and perfect light of the sun, as He represents and reflects all the attributes of His Father completely, as a living testimony. Also, the thought is carried forward that just as the "full and complete" moon is "first" and sacred, so too the seed of David (the Messiah) is "first" as the only begotten of the Father and set apart for the work of the sanctuary, whereas He too cannot lie.
The word "throne" (#3678 kecceh ) is used 175 times in the O.T. However, the use of "throne" is an obvious attempt to conceal the truth regarding the "full" New Moon. This is because the word "throne" does not fit the context of this comparison. For example, if the word "throne" is used it would say, "David's seed (the Messiah) forever shall be as the 'throne,' manifest conspicuously opposite the sun." This makes no sense whatever. Rather, a comparison is being developed between the Messiah and the "full moon." Both represent and reflect their source of light and truth perfectly and both are established as continuing forever. This theme is further demonstrated when in the New Testament the Messiah said, "He who has seen me has seen the Father?" John 14:9
Despised and Rejected
"The stone which the builders rejected has become the chief cornerstone, a stone of stumbling and a rock of offense." 1 Peter 2:7-8 NKJV
What Might Have Prompted the New Moon Change? So, in light of all of this, why on earth would the Jews/Israelites/Semites be motivated to swap the "full moon" for the crescent to commence their months?
In the fourth century did the Jewish leaders adopt an artificial week? Yes they did, and the exact year was A.D. 358, led by Hillel II, head of the Sanhedrin. While it was Rome that distributed the new seven-day continuous weekly cycle, it had been stylized in Babylon.
Might the Jews have also adopted a Babylonian stylized, false crescent New Moon at the same time they adopted the false Sabbath to appear to the world at large, that all things have continued uninterrupted from the beginning?
New Evidence from the Dead Sea Scrolls
According to an article by William Doehring- "James C. Vanderkam, and John A. O'Brien Professor of Hebrew Scriptures at the University of Notre Dame, has written extensively about the Dead Sea Scrolls community. Set up approximately 200 years prior to the birth of [Yahushua] Jesus, the Qumran community split off from the mainstream population of Judea, because the community believed that the religious system at the time had become corrupted. One crucial conviction of Qumran, was that the religious system had corrupted the Jewish calendar, thereby corrupting all of the Jewish Sabbaths and Holy days.
In Vanderkam's article, Calendrical Texts and the Origins of the Dead Sea Scroll Community, he reveals that the Qumran community followed a Jewish calendar, which is different then the calendar that Jews use today. More crucial to the paradox, he reveals that the Qumran community taught that the "full moon" commenced the month, which would mean that Passover, which occurs mid-month, would have occurred when the moon was dark. Thus, if Passover was celebrated within Ancient Judaism at the dark of the moon, rather than at the full of the moon, then it would be very possible for a total solar eclipse to occur, simultaneous to Passover and the Crucifixion of Jesus.
Note: Hillel II, the last president of the Sanhedrin, established the modern Jewish calendar, approximately 350 years after [Yahushua] Jesus. Other arguments have been made as to why the Jewish calendar may have been corrupted as well." Christianity Shrouded by Solar Eclipse, Examiner.com, William Doehring, May 19, 2012.
Come Out of Babylon
Might this be why at the very end of earth's history, the angel in Revelation is depicted as crying out:
The pagan planetary week days are named below cycling from week to week without any connection to the New Moon, or other astronomical markers.
Might it be that the only way the Jewish leaders could shake themselves from guilt and prying questions with regard to the Messiah and the crucifixion was to make it appear that the "crescent" was New Moon and the "full moon" the middle of the month. If they could sell the lie, then all the questions about the prophecy in Amos regarding the solar eclipse on the day of the crucifixion would be hushed forever. Luke's record of the actual occurrence would be chalked up as of little consequence, because after all, it will be said, "everyone knows the Jews have always kept the "crescent" as New Moon, therefore it would be impossible for a solar eclipse to occur on the 14th, the night of the "full moon." As a result, the world is led to believe that Yahushua (Jesus) was not the true Messiah after all. Certainly, this is a point to ponder.
One must ask the hard question with regard to the true New Moon, who are you going to believe-millions of Jews, millions of Muslims, the Karaite Jews, the Messianic Jews, Ellen White, or the original interlinear Hebrew words of Scripture?
May our faith be founded upon the sure word of truth, in Scripture alone.
- Luke 23:44-45 - The Sun was Darkened From the Sixth to the Ninth Hour. According to Luke, a solar eclipse occurred on the day of the Messiah's crucifixion between the sixth and the ninth hour. This was a fulfillment of the prophecy of Amos. This can only happen during the dark conjunction lunar phase, revealing the true New Moon is the "full moon."
- Amos 8:9-11 - Amos Prophesied a Darkened Sun to Occur at the Messiah's Death. This O.T. prophecy given 800 years prior to the crucifixion declares a solar eclipse was to occur at noon on the day of the Messiah's death. Three gospels confirm this as fact. A solar eclipse occurs only at the time of a dark lunar phase, as a result the evidence supports the "full moon" as the true New Moon
- Matthew 24:27 - All Ruling Luminaries Shine from the East unto the West. Each heavenly luminary shines from east to west when it is both visible and ruling time. The only lunar phase that does this is the "full moon," making it the true new moon of Scripture and the temple services.
- Job 26:9 - He Apportions the Face of the Full Moon. The Creator apportioned and formed time on the face that declines and turns back to the "full moon" as the seat of authority, distinctly separating it according to its covering, as an ordained statute of set time.
- Revelation 22:2 - The Tree of Life is Regulated by the New Moon. Did you know there is a moon in heaven? The tree of life yields twelve fruit, one each month according to the measure of the New Moon.
- Revelation 21:21 - Twelve Gates are Twelve Pearls. The twelve gates of the New Jerusalem are twelve whole, individual pearls, representing twelve "full" New Moons.
- Psalms 118:18-24 - The Open Gate and the Stone Rejected are Symbols of the Full Moon. The open gate and the stone rejected are related terms to the work of the "full moon," which itself is a symbol of the Messiah, "the light of the world."
- Revelation 12:1 - A Great Sign Appeared in the Heavens Announcing New Year's Day. Discover that the great sign in the heavens of the woman clothed with the sun, depicts a "full moon" under her feet, with twelve constellations symbolized above her head. Remarkably, this image is revealed in the heavens one time each year, occurring only on New Year's Eve in the spring of the northern hemisphere.
- Psalms 81:3 - Blow the New Moon Shofar on the Full Moon. Blow the New Moon shofar on the "full moon," the processor of time for all the holy Feasts (chag).
- Hosea 2:11 - I Will Cause Your Mirth to Cease on "Chag." Reveals that "chag" can represent one feast or seven, not simply the pilgrim feasts occurring on the 15th, as a result neither the term "chag" nor the "full moon" can be fastened to the middle of the lunar month.
- James 1:17-18 - Yahuah is the Father of Lights. Discover which lunar phase is the only lunar phase that can represent the Father of lights with no shadow from its turning orbit in it.
- Proverbs 4:18-23 - The Pathway of the Righteous as a Start and Finish Line. This study illustrates the pure and perfect light of the "full moon" is metaphorically represented as the finish line for the righteous seeker of truth. As the light of this lunar phase has come full circle, might it also be the starting point, as in the New Moon?
- Psalms 89:35-37 - The Full Moon is "First" Among the Lunar Phases. This study reveals that the full moon is "first" among the lunar phases and is set apart for sacred use in the appointed times of the Sanctuary. As a result of this "new light" the call can be heard: "Babylon is fallen, is fallen . . . come out of her my people, lest you share in her sins, and lest you receive of her plagues."
- Genesis 15:12, 17 - The Night was Dark 430 Years Prior to the Exodus to the Very Day. Yahuah's Covenant with Abraham was made on a night identified as "dark." This "dark" night is the foundation for identifying the correct time of the month for Israel's miraculous Exodus from Egypt 430 years later to the very day and by implication, the true New Moon.