Identifies the True Sabbath
And Alahim/Elohim said, “Let there be LIGHTS (plural) in the firmament of the shamayim (heaven) to divide the day from the night; and let them (plural) be for SIGNS (weeks, Sabbaths, Feast Days), and for SEASONS (New Moons), and for DAYS, and YEARS.” Genesis 1:14
At first glance in the table above, it may appear that the “seasons” (mo’edim #4150) reference only festival appointments, or congregational assemblies. However, notice in the Strong’s Bible Dictionary and Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew Lexicon, it is also identified as both a SIGNAL and an appointment in fixed time. So of what might it be a signal of, and what time might it be fixed to? Amazingly, both questions can be answered with the single common denominator of lunar time as defined by the 30 phases of the moon. But are their any case laws (specific examples) that verify this from Scripture?
He appointed the moons for seasons (#4150 mo’edim). . . Psalms 104:19
As it turns out, the term “seasons” is not referring to the four seasons of the year, but rather to the 12 or 13 lunar months as signaled by the New Moon. So what Yahuah Elohim, our Creator appointed and ordained was the MOON for lunar months. Meaning, the moon that orbits the earth receiving LIGHT from the SUN, and gives us a different lunar phase for each of the 29-30 calendar dates, was placed there to SIGNAL ALL THE PARTS and SUB-PARTS of our Creator’s LUNAR MONTHS.
What becomes also apparent from the Hebrew definitions above in connection with the Scripture verses below, is that the seventh-day Sabbath is a “sign.” Notice it is the Almighty Father speaking. He is the one who preordained the Sabbath to be a SIGN. Is it conceivable that the signs referred to in Genesis 1:14, and associated with days and years, may be eternally linked to the week ending with a Sabbath, or even the Feast Days?
Moreover I also gave them My Sabbaths, to be a “sign” (#226 oth) between them and Me, that they might know that I am Yahuah who sanctifies them. Yet the house of Israel rebelled against Me in the wilderness; they did not walk in My statutes; they despised my judgments, which, if a man does, he shall live by them; and they greatly defiled My Sabbaths. Ezekiel 20:12-13 Other verses that support the Sabbath as a sign include: Ezekiel 20:19-20; Psalms 65:88; Psalms 74:4; Psalms 74:9; Jeremiah 10:1-3.
We can now see that Scripture has defined from five or more witnesses that the Sabbath is definitely a SIGN. But what does this mean. I believe the seventh-day Sabbaths are prophetic SIGNS, harbingers or shadows of a future fulfillment of prophecy. I believe that each of the Feast Days also fall into this category of prophecies. We will cover this in the next section. So for now we will identify how the Sabbaths
The implication of this is that the Sabbath, which punctuates the seven-day week of creation, is after all, reckoned by numbering from the full New Moon, making it a lunar Sabbath. In contrast there is no mention in Genesis, or anywhere else in Scripture that the Sabbath is reckoned by separate time-measuring model such as successive weekly cycle, wholly divorced from the Creator’s LIGHTS that rule in the shamayim.
- The term “seasons” (mo’edim) as found in Genesis 1:14 is discovered to mean appointed fixed time, and signal.
- Next it is discovered in Psalms 104:19 that, Yahuah appointed the moon for seasons. This supports the idea that appointed fixed time is defined by the moon and its New Moon Lunar SIGNALS. Both the Sabbaths and Feast days are found by counting from the New Moon Day. Each day is demarcated by a specific lunar phase and counted from 1-29 or 30, from one New Moon to another New Moon (Isaiah 66:23). So without using the term lunar month, Psalms 104:19 defines the purpose of the term seasons in Genesis 1:14, leaving no room for any kind of month verified by Scripture that is not lunar, with all monthly dates counted from the New Moon.
- The Sabbath is established to be a SIGN in multiple Scripture verses. Ezekiel 20:12-13; Ezekiel 20:19-20; Psalms 65:88; Psalms 74:4, 9; Jeremiah 10:2-3. It appears that SIGNS (Sabbaths and Feast Days) can only be found by counting from the New Moon of each Mo’ed (lunar month). Therefore the weekly Sabbath is also signaled by the New Moon.
- The LIGHTS referred to in Genesis 1:14 are specifically shown and understood to be the brilliant LIGHTS of the sun, the moon, and the stars. All the Creator’s time units are to be legislated by their three part orchestration. But there is a right and a wrong way to measure time according to these.
Getting this right is the ultimate test for knowing we are at this late day either in harmony with or out of harmony with our Creator’s universal time-measuring model as found in Genesis 1:14. Here the foundation is laid, whereby the sun rules alone by daylight and the moon rules together with the stars by night. Never is the sun moon and stars to rule together, and NEVER is the sun to rule with either the moon or the stars. Keeping this distinction is our sacred duty. And can only be achieved if the full moon is the true New Moon. It is then the correct application of the three part orchestration that is referred to by some as luni-solar, yet to be more accurate this website refers to it as astro-luni-solar time.
GPS Coordinate #2 – Genesis 1:16 Identifies the True New Moon
From Genesis to Revelation there is only one time-measuring method supported in Scripture. No other orientation of the moon or its phases will do, for there is only one standard that meets all the criteria. This model is supported directly by four Sctipture witnesses.The true order from the viewer’s vantage point remains the full moon and then the constellation that is positioned directly behind it, marks the commencement of that 29-30 day lunar month.
Throughout this website, most often we will be referring to the Creator’s Calendar method as Astro-lunar-solar, mostly because it is the true syzygy order of the three spheres with the designated constellation as lined up in the image below, but also because it rolls off the tongue easier than Lunar-astro-solar. But either way is essentially correct.
GPS Coordinate #3 –Each Feast Day has Three Concurrent GPS TIME Markers
This second GPS coordinate is found in Leviticus 23, which reveals that both the sacred Sabbath and Feast Days are permanently fixed to two things concurrently. Strikingly, each is fixed simultaneously to both a lunar month date, as counted from the full New Moon, and to a specific numbered day of the week, which always identifies its proximity to the seventh-day Sabbath. This two pronged GPS coordinate insures that the Feast Days remain FIXED and that NO other calendar model can usurp their divinely ordained placements. The description of each Feast Day rules out any possibility that they could be synchronized to the continuous weekly cycle. If the week as found in Leviticus were described as a continuous weekly cycle, having no ties to the New Moon, the Feast Days could have never been fixed to a specific day of the week consistently since the days of Moses, but they are!
The Feast of the Seventh-day— Annual Rehearsal of the Thousand Year Sabbath Rest in the New Jerusalem – Leviticus 23:1-3:
The seventh-day Sabbath is the first set-apart Feast Day listed in the lineup of Feasts in Leviticus 23:1-3. However, there are two distinctions between the seventh-day Sabbath Feast and the other Feasts that follow in Leviticus 23:4-44. The first difference between them is the intervals in which each occurs. Verse 3 states the Sabbath Feast is to occur on day seven each week as a sacred convocation. Verse 4 states the other Feast Days are to be sacred convocations and are to occur in their specific months (#4150 mo’edim). 1) First Month thru the Seventh Month in spring the seventh-day Sabbath occurs on the 8th, 15th, 22, and 29th as identified in Leviticus 23:5, 6, 11, 23, 27, 34, 36; 2) Each Sabbath is counted from the New Moon.
The second distinction between the day seven Sabbath Feasts and the annual or monthly Feasts are as follows. Each of the monthly Feast rehearsals define the prophetic events of the temple above not made with hands, to be played out by Yahusha our Messiah in their specific order and in real time on their specific appointed astro-luni-solar calendar dates. In contrast, the day seven Feasts (seventh-day Sabbaths) are weekly reminders and promises that the entire plan of salvation will not exceed one Sabbath week of seven thousand years.
This chart represents the Feast Days and Seventh-day Sabbaths as they are outlined in the Leviticus 23 model.
Refer to the image above often as you review each Feast Day and Sabbath. But of particular notice is that each specific Feast day is concurrently located each year with the same THREE GPS MARKERS: 1) The specific lunar month of the year; 2) The date as counted from the New Moon; 3) The specific day of the week.
- Feast of Passover (Leviticus 23:5) – the 14th of the FIRST MONTH (Abib) in spring is always to be fixed to the sixth day of the week and the 14th day of the lunar month as counted from the New Moon, each and every year. 1) First Month in spring; 2) 14th day counted from New Moon; 3) Sixth day of the second week. Together these three coordinates identify this as the date of the dark conjunction lunar phase each year and occasionally a solar eclipse. Is there evidence in the Brit Hadasha (N.T.) that our Messiah was on the cross/stake at the time of a solar eclipse? Refer to article, Sun Darkened from the Sixth to the Ninth Hour.
- Feast of Unleavened Bread (Leviticus 23:6-8) – commences on the Sabbath the 15th of the First Month (Abib) in spring, each and every year. As a result the Sabbath is lunar, because it is shown to be fastened securely to both the seventh day of the week and to 15th day of the month as counted from the New Moon. A second witness is that the first day of Unleavened Bread is also called a High Sabbath, for the very reason it is both a Feast Day and a seventh-day Sabbath. 1) First Month; 2) 15th day counted from New Moon; 3) Seventh day of the second week. Together these three coordinates identify this as the continuation of a two day dark lunar phase, while our Messiah rested in the tomb over the true lunar Sabbath.
- Feast of First Fruits (Leviticus 23:9-14) – occurs on the 16th of Abib, and the first day of the week, each and every year. This illustrates that the week at the time of Moses did not cycle without end. The Sabbath is lunar, because it is shown to be fixed firmly to the day prior to the Feast of First Fruits and to the date as counted from the New Moon. 1) First Month; 2) 16th day counted from New Moon; 3) First day of the third week. Together these coordinates identify this as the first visible crescent lunar phase.
- Feast of Pentecost (Leviticus 23:15-22) – is counted from the 16th of the First Month (Abib), the day after the Sabbath, which was counted from New Moon. It is made up of at least seven whole Sabbath’s complete. As a result the Sabbath is lunar, because it is shown to be fixed securely to the weeks as counted from the New Moon. The count commences on the day following Sabbath the 15th of Abib. This illustrates again that the Sabbath is fixed to the New Moon. (We now believe, after much study, it appears that Pentecost/Feast of Weeks is a 99 day count (or 14 weeks) and not a mere fifty days as we were all led to believe). But none-the-less it is still counted in the same fashion whether 50 days or 99. 1) Begin the count in the First Month; 2) Begin the count on the 16th day counted from New Moon; 3) Count only lunar weeks and exclude New Moon days and translation days (30th day). End the count on the first day of the second lunar week of the Third Lunar Month. Together these coordinates identify this as on or the day after the first quarter lunar phase.
- Feast of Trumpets is located on New Moon day itself, the first day marker of the seventh month. Because of the dates cited for Feast of Tabernacles below, as they are connected to the seventh-day Sabbath, all of the Sabbaths for the seventh lunar month are located on the 8th, 15th, 22nd and 29th, and are counted from Feast of Trumpets (New Moon day). Therefore, this Feast Day is both on the first day of the month and on New Moon day, which is the day before the first day of the week. (Leviticus 23:23-25) 1) Seventh Month; 2) First day of the lunar month; 3) New Moon Day (not a work day or a seventh-day Sabbath). Together these coordinates identify this as the full New Moon.
- Feast Day of Atonement (Leviticus 23:26-32) – is counted from the Feast of Trumpets (New Moon day) and is located on the 10th day of the seventh month. But to establish how it is related to the seventh-day Sabbaths for the month, we must look at the Feast of Tabernacles, as it is defined as consistently commencing on the seventh-day Sabbath of the 15th. As a result the Day of Atonement occurs five days earlier on the second day of the second week, two days after Sabbath the 8th, and five days prior to Sabbath the 15th. Here again this most important feast day is fixed both to the day of the week and to the date of the month as counted from the New Moon. 1) Seventh Month; 2) 10th day as counted from New Moon; 3) Second day of the second week. Together these coordinates identify this as two days past the first quarter lunar phase.
- Feast of Tabernacles (Leviticus 23:35-36) – commences on the 15th of the seventh month as counted from the New Moon and ends on the 21st day. This feast was fixed to both the day of the week and the date as counted from the New Moon. Because the first day of this festival begins on a seventh-day Sabbath, it is also a High Sabbath. By clarifying that the “eighth day” is the day following the seven day feast, also identifies it as a seventh-day Sabbath (sacred convocation), Yahuah punctuated that His ordained week and seventh-day Sabbaths are reckoned by His sacred celestial timepiece. As a result the sacred seventh-day Sabbath is lunar, as it can only be found by counting from the New Moon. This evidence is illustrated by the Sabbaths being securely fixed to the lunar feast dates, which are counted from the New Moon. 1) Seventh Month; 2) 15th day counted from New Moon; 3) Seventh day of the second week. Together these coordinates identify this as the dark conjunction lunar phase.
Individually each Feast Day GPS coordinate is impressive, but together they illustrate a stunning calendar model, not generally known or honored today. These kadosh Feast Days of Yahuah cannot be located correctly on any other form of calendar consistently other than the calendar of divine origin. All that is necessary for a church organization to do who has no intention of accepting the Creator’s astro-luni-solar calendar, is to declare that the Feasts ended at the cross/stake of our Messiah. This will keep His calendar out of the minds of their people and out of their churches. But there is a flip side. Celebrating the Feast Days, which include Passover, is the ordained PATHWAY to with the Messiah to the Father. Ignoring the Feast Days is essentially ignoring the Creator.
What does that say about the true Sabbath of Scripture as it falls on the first day of the Feast of Tabernacles every year? The same principles that apply to the appointed Feast Days also apply to the sacred Sabbath, because they are SIGNS counted from the full New Moon beacons. So likewise, the true Sabbath can only be found by using the appointed astronomical coordinates that were established at Creation, i.e., the moon and stars specifically and the sun by extension as it shines upon the full New Moon (Genesis 1:14), then they are counted from New Moon, in the same way as the Feast. This illustrates that four weeks cycle within the confines of each lunar month, then begin afresh following the next New Moon.
- It is from this appointed Feast that the Sabbaths are found for the entire seventh lunar month, making it possible to show the relation of the seventh-day Sabbath to the Feast of Trumpets (New Moon day) and the Feast Day of Atonement.
- So it is that the Creator ordained a system of checks and balances to insure the keeping of the true Sabbath on the correct calendar. Might He have had foreknowledge that His time system would be utterly removed from the earth for a time? Yes!
- Each of the Feast days on earth were divinely designed rehearsals of prophetic proportions, pinpointing our Savior’s true ministerial commencement on behalf of our Soul Temples from His place above. This began right on time according to the three part orchestration of the sun, moon, and stars.
- The fact that our Messiah came and laid down His life as our Lamb sacrifice to take away our sins, at the precise appointed time is our greatest evidence that Yahusha was indeed the true Messiah. This occurred precisely on time, to the very day, Passover, Abib 14, A.D. 31, the day of a solar eclipse. The astro-luni-solar time system remains today in the shamayim, as our High Kohen (Priest) continues within its courts to intercede for sinners and bestow His Father’s forgiveness to all those who humbly confess.
In other words each weekly Sabbath is a reminder of our Creator’s love and a promise that sin and death, pain and suffering will all be abolished by His work in the Sanctuary above for the salvation of souls. It is this work that is completed by the end of six thousand years of earth’s history. Then at the commencement of this great one thousand year Sabbath rest, our Savior, Yahusha will return, at His second coming for His obedient followers. The seventh thousand year period will be spent with their redeemer and through all eternity.
The four seventh-day Sabbaths will occur within 24 hours of the blue quarter lines.
Utilizing this chart above, the sun is set in the west. Because the moon is mobile, there is monthly difference of the 29 or 30 day lunar months in which the lunar phases shift slightly within a tight 3 percent variant. Stunningly, this Lunar GPS chart illustrates that each lunar phase is both position and phase related. So that when we look at the moon on any given night, we can know if it is a waxing (growing in light) or a waning phase (decreasing in light).
The light from the sun, shining onto the moon is reflected to earth each night with a specific angle. For example, the yellow line coming from the sun represents the sun’s light. It always shines on the very same side of the moon consistently. The white lines represent the view from earth of the lunar reflected light. But because the moon orbits the earth, our perspective from earth each night and day is demarcated with a unique lunar phase that consistently aligns with its angle and position relative to the sun from month to month.
Can you see the angles where the yellow lines intersect at each lunar phase. In the East the full moon angle is 0 as the light is reflected directly back at the sun, with the earth coming between them in a Syzygy alignment. In a perfect Syzygy of sun, earth and full moon, this is known as a lunar eclipse, where the sun’s light is blocked by the earth causing the moon to appear red. Note how the lunar phases at the top portion of this illustration have nearly a perfect 90 degree angle. Interestingly, the conjunction lunar phase shows no light and is illustrated with a dark line.
Whether you believe the Feast Days are to be kept sacred, and are binding today or not, is not the focus of this article. Rather, the purpose here is to illustrate the timing of Yahuah’s Feast Days and how in closer examination we discover they are one method that reveals the timing of the true and sacred seventh-day Sabbath, and exposes the continuous weekly cycle as the GREAT IMPOSTOR.
This chapter in Leviticus overtly illustrates that the true Sabbaths are lunar and their weeks are consistently linked to the count from the New Moon day, so as they cannot be separated one from another.
So it is, just as a GPS unit can accurately pinpoint an exact location on earth by utilizing three or more celestial coordinates, so too, our loving Father’s true Sabbath can be identified by the sun, moon, and stars. And in addition to locating the Sabbath, they also locate the true New Moon, day, the lunar monthly Feast dates, the numbered days of the week as demarcated by each specific lunar phase.
Coordinate #4 – Three Kinds of Days – Scripture’s GPS Identifies the True Sabbath
The Scripture’s seven day week contains only two kinds of days, yet the Scripture’s lunar month contains three kinds of days. What implications might this have?
Sunday, is only the first day of the modern cycling week because Rome devised an extra-scriptural calendar and named the first day of their independent calendar week, Sunday. In like manner, Saturday is the seventh day of Rome’s independent calendar and by design it is utterly divorced from the three part orchestration of the sun, moon, and stars, and from the time principles recorded in Scripture.
Other Calendar Models in Question
Calendation was originally given to mankind at creation and divinely designed for the purpose of worshiping the Creator exclusively, on His qadosh and set-apart days in harmony with the New Jerusalem and the unfallen worlds. Calendation has always been about worship. In contrast to being dependent on the laws and benevolent love of our loving Father, Creator and Redeemer, ancient mankind devised calendars to disassociate themselves from Him and His requirements, and in so doing declared their independence.
Neither the modern Roman Gregorian nor the early Julian calendar were the first calendars to be crafted by man for the purpose of disassociating themselves from the times and laws of the Creator of the shamayim. We refer to the early independent calendars as pagan. Interestingly, history bears out that the early pagan calendars continued to be connected in some way to the lunar phases. However, both of Rome’s calendars were crafted to utilize only the sun and NOT the moon. In this way they followed in the footsteps of Egypt, the first pagan calendar to disassociate itself altogether from the divine three part orchestration of the sun, moon and stars, explicitly given at creation.
The changing of the calendar of our Creator is a deliberate attack on His authority and reserved right to be worshipped. It is also blatant idolatry, as it is a public admission to worshiping other gods. By default, anyone who willfully follows an independent pagan calendar for days, weeks, months, and years, replacing qadosh set-apart days with Roman holidays, is in reality breaking all of the first Four Commandments, and in breaking some of them, by default they are all broken.
Sunday, is only the first day of the modern cycling week because Rome devised an extra-scriptural calendar and named the first day of their independent calendar week, Sunday. In like manner, Saturday is the seventh day of Rome’s independent calendar and by design it is utterly divorced from the three part orchestration of the sun, moon, and stars, and from the time principles recorded in Scripture. As a result, neither Saturday nor Sunday can be the true seventh-day Sabbath of our Creator and Scripture.
Refer to article, Stunning Historical Evidence.
In the mid-1st century B.C. Julius Caesar invited Sosigenes, an Alexandrian astronomer, to advise him about the reform of the calendar, and Sosigenes decided that the only practical step was to abandon the lunar calendar altogether. Months must be arranged on a seasonal basis, and a tropical (solar) year used, as in the Egyptian calendar. “The Julian Calendar,” Encyclopedia Britannica.
Sabbath and New Moon (Rosh Chodesh), both periodically recur in the course of the year. The New Moon is still, and the Sabbath originally was, dependent upon the lunar cycle. Universal Jewish Encyclopedia, p. 410.
The Hebrew seven-day week, ending with the Sabbath, did not, of course, originate in Babylonia. The Sabbath day — both Hebrew and Babylonian — originated with the creation week and was transmitted down through the flood to Babylonia where Abraham was born. “The celebration of new-moon and full-moon festivals,” remarks Hutton Webster, “which both Babylonians and Hebrews appear to have derived from a common Semitic antiquity, underwent, in fact, a radically unlike evolution among the two kindred peoples.” “To dissever the week from the lunar month,” continues Webster, “to employ it as a recognized calendrical unit, and to fix upon one day of that week for the exercises of religion were momentous innovations, which, until evidence to the contrary is found, must be attributed to the Hebrew people alone. Rest Days, Hutton Webster, (prior to 1923) p.254.
If you have been taught that only pagan calendars utilized the New Moon in their count of days, weeks, months, and years, you have been deceived. The Scripture’s speak of the New Moon or lunar months nearly 300 times, which is twice as often as it speaks of the seventh-day Sabbath. While it is true that the pagans worshipped the sun, moon, and stars, as a god and in place of their Creator, no one today thinks to exclude the sun as having a prescribed role in calendation. Yet, the use of the moon and stars for calendation, have been wholly abolished under the pretext of paganism by sworn Scripture believers, who go by the title “Christians.” Yet, how can this be?
It was our Creator who placed the sun, moon, and stars in the shamayim at creation for the very purpose of defining His times upon earth, as His ordained time mechanism. It is only as these three work together that we can find any of His sacred days. All three beacons of light were given that mankind could rightly divide the day from the night as well as define the four basic units of time, His lunar weeks, His lunar months, His lunar dates and His lunar years. By design it is the only prescribed method to locating the true seventh-day Sabbath.
Then Alahim/Elohim said, “Let there be LIGHTS in the firmament of the shamayim to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs and seasons, and for days and years. . .” Genesis 1:14
The call to come out of Babylon will continue until our Savior’s return. He is now calling His obedient out of false calendation, that they may worship Him alone, by the Ruach and truth, in preparation for an eternal home. Would you like to be counted among the number who keep all His Ten Commandments, by worshiping the Creator and Redeemer according to His sacred and preordained calendar in the shamayim?