Scripture’s Test of a True Prophet
There have been many beautiful songs, poems, articles, and books written throughout history in apparent harmony with the Scriptures that were never claimed to be the work of a prophet of the Most High. As a result, the sheer fact that many beautiful books have been written under the pen name of Ellen White and her staff of editors, creative writers, and historians, is no guarantee in and of itself, that these are inspired by the Most High. Rather, the STANDARD and TRUE TEST of inspiration must be based upon the foundation of Scripture alone, as defined below.
The standard of a true prophet is outlined in Scripture:
- Yahuah will speak to them in dreams, visions, and to some face to face (Numbers 12:6).
- The prophet will give signs and wonders that always come to pass (Deuteronomy 13:1).
- If the signs and wonders come to pass, but the professed prophet teaches you to worship false gods, and break the commandments, then he/she is not a true prophet (Deuteronomy 13:1).
- Yahuah will put the words in the prophets mouth, the prophet will not have to glean the thoughts or words from other sources (Deuteronomy 18:18).
- If a prophet presumes to speak a word in My name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet shall die. (Deuteronomy 18:20).
- When the prophet speaks in the name of Yahuah, and that thing does not happen, or come to pass, then it was not from Yahuah. So do not listen to this professed prophet (Deuteronomy 18:22).
- “I have heard what the prophets have said who prophesy lies in My name, saying, ‘I have dreamed, I have dreamed!’ How long will this be in the heart of the prophets who prophesy lies? Indeed they are prophets of the deceit of their own heart, who try to make My people forget My name by their dreams which everyone tells his neighbor, as their fathers forgot My name for Baal. Jeremiah 23:25-27
- “Therefore behold, I am against the prophets,” says Yahuah, “who steal My words everyone from his neighbor. Jeremiah 23:30 NKJV
- “Behold, I am against the prophets,” says Yahuah, “who use their tongues and say, ‘He says.’” Jeremiah 23:31 NKJV
- “Behold, I am against those who prophesy false dreams,” says Yahuah, “and tell them, and cause My people to err by their lies and by their recklessness. Yet, I did not send them or command them; therefore they shall not profit this people at all,” says Yahuah. Jeremiah 23:32 NKJ
- “Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth.” Titus 1:14 NKJV
- “Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of the shamayim; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of the shamayim.” Matthew 5:19
- Thus says Yahuah . . . because they have despised the Torah of Yahuah, and have not kept His commandments. Their lies lead them astray, Lies which their fathers followed. Amos 2:4
- He who works deceit shall not dwell within my house; He who tells lies shall not continue in my presence. Psalms 101:7
- A faithful witness does not lie, but a false witness will utter lies. Proverbs 14:5
- The elder and honorable, he is the head; the prophet who teaches lies, he is the tail. Isaiah 9:15
- No one calls for justice, nor does any plead for truth. They trust in empty words and speak lies; they conceive evil and bring forth iniquity. Isaiah 59:4
- And Yahuah said to me, “The prophets prophesy lies in My name. I have not sent them, commanded them, nor spoken to them; they prophesy to you a false vision, divination, a worthless thing, and the deceit of their heart.
- Beware of false prophets. Matthew 7:15
- There shall arise false Messiahs and false prophets.” Matthew 24:24
- Believe not every spirit, but try the spirits . . . because many false prophets are gone out into the world. 1 John 4:1
An Appeal for Spiritual Honesty
Make no mistake, not one of the Scripture’s testing principles of a true prophet as listed above is the apparent inspirational beauty of the written works.
A faith that believes Ellen White or any other self-proclaimed prophet to be a true prophet without the willingness to test all their prophecies to see if they meet the 100% accuracy standard of Scripture, is not honest. A true test must include even the materials that fell into disgrace on behalf of Ellen White between 1844 and 1864, and in the early years of the church development, which have been long hidden from view by well-meaning folks who seek to save Mrs. White’s reputation and the thriving church corporation, believing they are protecting the cause of truth.
The Eternal Father has never required blind faith, but from the standard of His sacred Word has given a detailed model for recognizing a true prophet so that none may be led astray.
Having a lengthy and sincere belief in something simply does not make it true, or its author a prophet of the Eternal Father, Yahuah. But a willingness to face the truth by exploring all sides of the issue (from several angles like a GPS) is the only way to determine with accuracy the truth on the matter. The problem is most people are afraid to face truth’s lions for fear that indeed they have been wrong. Yet, is this not the very platform necessary upon which to step out in faith, trusting Yahuah to guide you safely to His secure foundation, walking in the full LIGHT OF TRUTH. For only the truth can set you free. Falsehoods keep folks in bondage.
So what will it be? Bondage to a lie, or set free by the truth. The choice is your.
When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Ruach (presence) of Yahuah shall lift up a standard against him. Isaiah 59:19
For additional reading: The Life of Ellen White